San Diego property is very desirable and as your agent, we want you to capture the maximum value on the sale of your home and here are 10 suggestions for you to help you achieve your goal.
Once we have secured the listing agreement to market your home for sale we will execute the following steps.
More than baking cookies and lighting candles...
10 SELLING TIPS - to improve the marketability and desirability of your home
1. Meet with your agent to carefully walk thought the interior and around the exterior of the property and put together a plan of simple low cost maintenance items that will improve the curb appeal and desireablility of the home such as landscape improvements, minor cosmetic repairs, and painting.
2. We will invest in a pre-listing home inspection to identify mechanical items that may come up in a buyer's home inspection. This will allow you to repair items in need of attention, or make certain items known to the buyer and offer a buyer credit before it becomes a buyer objection and results in a missed offer opportunity or low ball offer..
3. Bring in a contractor to address and price-out easy, lower cost upgrades that will increase the showing appeal to the home, and perhaps eliminate obvious objection items that may turn off potential buyers. Address the noted items in the Realtor walk-through, and the Home Inspector's Pre-Listing Inspection.
4. Have all identified work completed before the listing is activated, or if the seller chooses not to have the work done, have a suitable buyer credit or allowance in place to address the necessary repairs.
5. Professionally clean and deodorize home. Eliminate clutter, and store away as many personal items as possible so the home looks like a 'model home'. This may require that items be boxed and stored out of sight.
6. Invest in lower cost items that create an impact and make the house appear neater and cleaner such as new bedspreads, and towels and supplement additional lighting if necessary.
7. Make the property easily accessible for showings, and remains clean and orderly while on the market.
8. We insist on a broker open house, as it is the opportunity to grand-stand your property in the presence of a several other peer real estate professionals, that if your property makes a positive impression, your are effectively building your own sales force amongst the other agents to have them recommend the home to each of their prospective clients.
9. Price the property to sell given the current market value. If you end up being even slightly under-priced, the market will return with multiple buyers and the competition might even lift the price over market as buyers compete amongst themselves to win the home.
10. If you get a solid offer, take it, and you can always secure back-up offers if the accepted offer falls through. Better offers may never materialize, and the most motivated clients strike at the height of the excitement when properties are new to market. Statistically, properties sell at higher prices with respect to their original list prices the shorter the market time.